The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Furious Review by a Drunken Monkey

Furious Fist of the Drunken Monkey #1
Imperium Comics
Writer/Artist: Rich Stahnke

Damn! That was fast. Today I received the comic I just won from the ICAA. So, I'll cut to the chase.

The action in Furious Fist follows a beer-drinking chimpanzee named Chip as he finds (or perhaps takes is a better word) a ring from an alien that has just crashed in front of him. The ring gives him his "furious," super-powered fist as well as greater strength and agility. Oh, and did I mention he has a sidekick talking frog named Al. The comic is a fun, tongue-in-cheek romp in the superhero genre.

While the comic could use some maturing and refining in both the storyline and the art, it did leave me chuckling several times along the way.

In addition, after the main story, Stahnke includes a bit of history behind the title character and then three one-page "strips." I thought this format forced him to better focus his writing and packed a little better punch.

What I'd like to see is Stahnke take this same set of characters and write two stories plus a couple of these one-page strips in the same number of pages as this issue #1. While a little rough, this comic shows a lot of promise. I'd be willing to give it another try for sure.

Bottom line: B-

2 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM, July 13, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So glad to see you enjoyed the book. I'm hard at work on issue 2, so keep an eye out for it and I plan on doing another ICAA giveaway. Folks like yourself, who won the book, have done a great job of telling others about it and increasing its exposure. Exposure and publicity are sometimes hard to come by for small press.

    Thanks again!
    Rich Stahnke

     
  • At 9:21 AM, July 14, 2004, Blogger Erin M. Schadt said…

    Hey Rich, thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to reading what's next from you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home