The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Sunday, June 20, 2004

Single-Panel Reviews

Here are a few quick looks at recently published comics I call "single-panel reviews."

Birds of Prey #68
DC $2.50
Simone, Bennett, & Jose

I’ve heard a lot of good things about this series, so I’ve been wanting to catch a one-shot or new storyline to give this title a try. Sure enough, I flipped through #68 at the comic shop and it appeared to be a one-shot. Hmmm, I am very disappointed. Yep, women have boobs – get over it Bennett. Celebrating the beauty of the human figure is one thing, drawing breasts so large and unrealistic they detract from the story is another. The women were ridiculously posed throughout the book, and the story relied on so much backstory that I was a bit lost (or maybe just disinterested). I guess I was looking for a good jumping-on point or a hook and didn’t find it. I’m willing to give this book another try sometime, but for right now I’m saving my money for other titles. Bottom line: C-


Seaguy #2 of 3
Vertigo $2.95
Grant Morrison, Cameron Stewart

You know, I’m not sure what to think about this title. The quirky, tongue-in-cheek superhero tale that purposely doesn’t have much in the way of substance is fun to look at, elicits a few laughs, and the characters are a kick, so maybe that should be enough—but something just seems to be missing. We’ll see what happens in #3. For now, bottom line: B


Ultimate Fantastic Four #7
Marvel $2.25
Warren Ellis, Stuart Immonen

I’ve been reading less and less superhero/super power books lately, but Fantastic Four is one I do pick up. With this issue of Ultimate Fantastic Four, I’m beginning to like this take on the FF even more than the original title. The Ultimate title gives a new spin on the origin story of the Fantastic Four and follows the FF as teens dealing with this new change. The first six issues were a nice setup, but nothing spectacular. This issue marks a new storyline—a great jumping on point for new readers—and looks like a very promising turn for the young series. I’d recommend picking this one up for sure. Bottom line: A

2 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, June 21, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I felt this was the best issue of Ult. FF so far. The first six issues felt kinda flat, but this one had some bite to it. I'm looking forward to Ellis's take on this corner of the Ultimate Universe. The Birds of Prey was also flat, although the characters weren't drawn that way. I dropped the title after Chuck Dixon left, came back for Gail Simone's take, but really haven't been sold on her run yet. And that Seaguy comic looks tempting, but I'm still on the fence about it.

    Woody!

     
  • At 5:20 PM, June 21, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sometimes I think unrealistic boobs are what keeps comics from being taken seriously. I don't care how super they are, some of those girls just wouldn't be able to walk with boobs that big.

    Kerry

     

Post a Comment

<< Home