The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Wednesday, December 29, 2004

January Previews Highlights: Kerry’s Picks

Pick of the month:
PS 238 #11

Dork Storm Press; page 279; $2.99; 32 pgs.

I’ve been meaning to check out this series for a few months now and this issue looks like the perfect place to start as it’s a new storyline. In it, the only mortal student at the school has to teach another student in the ways of humans.

Other Recommendations:
Cusp (one shot)
By Thomas Herpich
Alternative Comics; page 224; $3.95; 40 pgs.

This book looks very interesting and strange at the same time. The text describes it as including rainbow werewolves and donkey people among other creatures. I don’t know what they are, but I’m on board.

Skeleton Key Volumes 4 and 5 (new printings)
By Andi Watson
Amaze Ink/Slave Labor Graphics; page 224; $12.95 each; 96 pgs. and 112 pgs., respectively.

I’m a huge fan of Watson’s Love Fights and checking out his older work has been on my to-do-list for a while now. These new printings of Skeleton Key couldn’t come at a better time. Volume 4 covers issues 25-30 and volume 5 takes on the next four issues. The story revolves around young lady Tamsin and her best friend Kitsune and their adventures in their hometown, Garfield. I’m sure volumes 1-3 are still available and they are probably the best place to start.


Comics Journal #267
Fantagraphics Books; page 294; $9.95; 192 pgs.

An interview with Craig Thompson is the star attraction in this issue of the Journal and hopefully enough to tide me over until his next book comes out.

In Dream World Volume #1 and Visitor #1
Tokyo Pop: page 334 and 336; $9.95 each; 192 pgs. each

My manga-loving friends must have finally struck a chord with me, because I’ve got two picks from Tokyo Pop this month. In Dream World, nightmares aren’t just a figment of your imagination, they are actual creatures. What really sold me on it, though, is it is card-based like Culdcept or Cardcaptor Sakura. Masters wield elemental powers cards. The short text doesn’t explain much more, but I’m definitely going to be checking it out.

The second book, Visitor stars Hyo-Bin a girl with a tragic past. Everyone who has ever been close to her has been murdered. She also has supernatural powers that she doesn’t understand and can’t control. The book sounds creepy and mysterious and I’m going to check out at volume one.

The Imaginaries #1 (of 4)
Image Comics; page 149; $2.95; 32 pgs.

Tanner’s parents divorce and he stops believing in his imaginary friend Superhero G. What happens to G now that Tanner doesn’t believe? G’s story is covered in this four-part series. I love all-ages titles and I don’t see why this cute book will be any different.

Fierce TPB
Dark Horse; page 34; $13.95; 120 pgs.

I haven’t heard of this four-issue series, but the trade certainly looks interesting. Jonathan Fierce is a psychic FBI profiler who didn’t see and event that killed some fellow agents. Fierce can heard the voices of his teammates and uses them to help solve the case that killed them.

Hipira: The Little Vampire HC
Dark Horse; page 40; $13.95; 48 pgs.

This book is touted as “in the spirit of the Nightmare before Christmas and Monsters, Inc.” two movies I adore, so, of course, I’m interested. The art is bright, for a vampire tale and Hipira might be the cutest vampire to ever exist. It looks like a great kids’ book that will entertain adults as well.

Spellbinders #1 (of 6)
Marvel; page 4; $2.99; 32 pgs.

Marvel Next’s new mini-series Spellbinders is about rival gangs of witches and non-witches. When new girl Kim Vesco moves to town the groups fight for her attention and allegiance. The Marvel section of Previews has a one page art preview with one particularly cool panel of a strange creature. I’m hoping I like it as much as the Craft or Charmed.

Mary Jane: Homecoming #1 (of 4)
Marvel; page 20; $2.99; 32 pgs

Mary Jane, the doomed Marvel Age title that I enjoyed is back in a four-part series. Harry takes Mary Jane to the Homecoming dance, but Liz still thinks MJ and Flash are sneaking around behind her back. I’m just happy the gang is back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home