The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Kerry Reads Manga! One Piece Volume 1

Story and Art by Eiichiro Oda
Shonen Jump $7.95

My journey through mangaland continues with one of the most popular series, One Piece. I actually received the first three volumes for my birthday from one of my anime-loving friends. He recommended both the show and the book to me for months. It really is no surprise then that I ended up adoring this delightful pirate adventure.

One Piece stars young pirate wannabe Monkey D. Luffy in his conquest to become a full-fledge pirate. Luffy starts his journey with nothing more than a dinghy and the clothes on his back. Luckily though, Luffy ingested some Gum Gum Devil Fruit that has left him with a strange stretchable power. His body is like rubber and he has developed a super punch. A side effect of the fruit is the inability to swim, an unfortunate coincidence for a pirate-to-be. Luffy's adventure begins and his first task is to add members to his crew.

Overall, One Piece is a lot of fun. It made me laugh and left me looking forward to volume two. Oda does a lot with little Luffy making him cute and silly, if not a little cocky. I'm a sucker for pirates, so I love Luffy's quest to become the ultimate buccaneer. The story moves quickly and is never boring. Although it is silly, the silliness is in no way a detriment to the story. The Gum Gum fruit is quite ridiculous, but it works here. I like the tongue-in-cheek attitude the book possesses. It's nice to read a story that doesn't take itself seriously.

I'm also digging the manga art style more and more. Oda does a good job with facial expressions. Shocked and anger are two emotions he is especially good at drawing. Luffy makes enraged faces quite a bit and they are funny and believable every time.

I'm looking forward to diving into the next volume of One Piece. If the story continues as is, I could be a fan for a long time.

Bottom Line: B+

1 Comments:

  • At 10:22 AM, January 20, 2005, Blogger Dupree said…

    I am happy you enjoyed it. This will make Tim really happy. I watch a lot of anime and it is my opinion that One Piece is the best out of the bunch. Of the 126 episodes (I can't wait for 127) that I have seen so far, I can only think of two episodes that I did not like. Each story arch is filled with fun and heartache. It is a series that can really tug at your heart strings. It would not suprise me if you continue to read it that you get a tear in your eye every once and a while. Every story arch is interesting, they kind of follow the same pattern, but each one is different enough to be very entertaining.

    If you think the Gum Gum fruit is ridiculous wait till you see the Chop Chop fruit.

    I would also recommend Hikaru No Go. Which is by far the best manga/anime about the game of Go. In fact I will be bold to say the best story ever about the game of Go.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home