The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Monday, February 07, 2005

ECCC Report

Now that I’m back from the Third Annual Emerald City ComiCon, I thought I’d fill everyone in on the occasion.

Personally, I had a blast. I began a sketch book (finally), and got four sketches: Scratch Fury from Scott Kurtz, Batman from Steve Lieber, Rex the Fox from Michel Gagné, and my personal favorite – Tara Chace having a drink by Steve Rolston.

This last sketch turned out amazing – if you have a chance to have Rolston sketch for you, please take the opportunity. When he asked what I’d like him to sketch and I said Tara Chace drinking, his eyes lit up. Apparently, everyone wants to see Tara with a gun, but I was the first to want her drinking. Rolston had me show it to Greg Rucka, who looked lovingly at it and said, “Ah, that’s our little alky.”

Speaking of Rucka, I got a chance to thank him for the storyline “Half a Life” (issues 6–10) from Gotham Central. He was very proud of the work he and Michael Lark did on this storyline, in fact he said he’s never been prouder. Renee Montoya is a character he’s especially attached to and plans to weave her and her home life into more issues.

Tony Harris was also a very nice guy, he thanked me and shook my hand for buying the single issues of Ex Machina. How could I not – those cliffhangers are great!

Others creators I had a chance to meet were Peter Bagge, Ed Brubaker, Lark, Kurt Busiek, and Tim Sale.

The question that was most asked of me this con: “Are you here for someone else, or do you read comics?” My response: “Yep, I read comics. In fact here’s my card.” They always asked this nicely, so I can’t say I was insulted at all, just a little surprised. I guess I’m just too boring looking to like comics. Ah, well, to quote Popeye: “I am what I am, and that’s all that I am.”

One of my favorite activities at a con, though, is looking for new creators, ones independently publishing and looking for some exposure. I picked up several minicomics from some very talented people. You can expect a review of these later in the week.

I also filled in a few holes in my comics collection. Nothing of much collector’s worth, just ones that mean a lot to me. That’s the best way to buy comics, as far as I can tell.

I caught a couple of the panels, as well, which were pretty entertaining and informative. The “Breaking into Comics” panel with Bob Schreck, John Layman, and C.B. Cebulski was of particular interest to me. The most interesting aspect was hearing the editors talk about what their jobs entail and the character of their duties, as well as the personal anecdotes they shared.

I also caught the “DC Comics Writers” panel with Gail Simone, Busiek, Rucka, and Brubaker. This was a pretty rollicking panel. I thought the questions asked overall weren’t that great, so that contributed to the mood (and I realize by not asking any questions, I am partially to blame). Rucka and Brubaker were happy antagonists, while Busiek did a nice job as a sort of informal moderator, and Simone chimed in at times. It was certainly entertaining. In the way of previews, Brubaker let it slip that he’d signed an exclusive deal with Marvel, and Rucka revealed that Sasha Bordeaux will return in his new limited series The OMAC Project.

As for the general atmosphere, Saturday was definitely busier though there were good crowds both days, but never insane, and people were mostly polite and laid back. This made for a relaxing, yet exciting, weekend.

If you are anywhere in the vicinity of the Pacific Northwest, I highly recommend coming to the Emerald City Comicon next year. As I understand it, the event has practically doubled in size every year, and certainly has attracted bigger names each time. Judging from this year, then, I won’t want to miss ECCC 2006.

Bottom Line: A-

8 Comments:

  • At 1:34 PM, February 07, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Here, have a comment.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, February 07, 2005, Blogger Brian Cronin said…

    Sounds like fun.

    It is, indeed, weird that you have to get looked at so quizzically just for attending a comic con.

    Ah well...let's hope stuff like that is changing.

    And I think after doing Pounded for Brian Wood, Rolston would know how to draw a good alky shot of anyone...hehe.

     
  • At 11:47 AM, February 08, 2005, Blogger Steve Rolston said…

    I'm glad you dug the Tara Chace sketch. The bottle ended up a little oddly shaped (too long + skinny) but I think I was happy with the rest of it. Drawing a bad-ass Chace with a gun is fun too but that's only half of her character. I appreciate that Rucka spends just as much time focussing on her other half--the part that's worn down from being so bad-ass and tries to drown her inner turmoil with the drink.

     
  • At 5:32 PM, February 09, 2005, Blogger Erin M. Schadt said…

    Let's chalk it up to Tara drinking a unique British microbrew. :-)

     
  • At 12:48 PM, February 10, 2005, Blogger Tim Sale said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 2:40 PM, February 10, 2005, Blogger Erin M. Schadt said…

    I can certainly understand the assumption that a woman may likely be there with a guy. Honestly, I too was pleasantly surprised to see so many women at the show. I imagined there would be a good contingent, being indeed the Great Northwest, but there were certainly more women that I thought might be there.

    P.S. "testosterone logjam" has a nice ring to it.
    Thanks for stopping by, Tim.

     
  • At 9:45 PM, February 10, 2005, Blogger Dupree said…

    I don't think it was because you were a woman. I thought it was because of how you were dressed. You looked all classy. A vast majority of women there were dressed in black or looked a little goth. The women to male ratio was a lot more than I thought it would be. A lot more women than at PAX.

     
  • At 1:59 PM, February 14, 2005, Anonymous steve goldman said…

    I'd never think it was strange that women were at comic conventions, but then, I'm used to the type of crowd one sees at SPX, where female creators and consumers show up in a big way.

    I noted that you said you look for independently publishing folks to get books from... if you have any interest, I can shoot you down review copies of the latest books our studio's put out. Drop me a line w/ an address at steven@fwdbooks.com, and I'll put you together a package.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home