The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005

March Previews Highlights: Kerry’s Picks

Pick of the Month
Mr. T #1
APComics; page 238; $3.50; 28 pgs.

When I saw this book, my heart skipped a beat. Mr. T back in print!!! I’ve got the Mr. T children’s books, the Mr. T rubber stamp, and the A-Team comics. Now I’ll have the Mr. T comic books to add to my ever burgeoning T collection. I just can’t fathom that this book will be bad in any way; not with T himself signed on as Creative Supervisor.

Pale Pink Volume 1 GN
CPM Manga, page 264, $9.99, 344 pgs.

Diamond dubbed May “Manga Month” and this volume is my top Manga pick. The book is advertised as a “documentary” about women living in Tokyo. Issues such as eating disorders, love, work, and other life issues will be covered.

Girls #1

Image Comics; page 135; $2.95; 32 pgs.

The Luna Brothers, creators of the great miniseries Ultra, have a new book for May. The promotional text doesn’t offer much insight, but says that bachelor Ethan Daniels has his share of problems with woman. One night he meets a strange woman and his life is changed forever. I love Ultra, so I’ll definitely be picking up this title. The Luna Brothers put a lot of style into that title and I’m sure it will be continued here.

Felt: True Tales of Underground Hip Hop
Image Comics; page 141; $2.95; 32 pgs.

Jim Mahfood, cartoonist and hip-hop fan drops a new book this May. The book coincides with and has the same name as the upcoming album by rappers Slug and Murs. Stories in the book are inspired by the songs on the album. Now, Previews says you don’t need the album to appreciate the book, but I bet it wouldn’t hurt. Pick up both for an actual multimedia experience. This is the kind of cross-over I can get into.

Hero Camp #1 (of 4)
Image Comics; page 142; $2.95; 32 pgs.

We’ve got schools for super heroes, psychiatrists for super heroes, and now summer camp for super heroes. In this book, regular kid Eric Quinlan is sent to summer camp by his super hero parents. He’s the only camper without powers and soon finds out he is being stalked by some super-villains in a case of mistaken identity. There is a page preview of the book in Previews and it looks very funny.

Zig Zag #1
Adhouse Books; page 204; $5.95; 32 pgs.

The cover of this book, a robot missing his heart, first caught my eye. Scheduled to be an ongoing anthology of short funny stories, the book looks cute and fun. I’m not familiar with J. Chris Campbell or his work, but the book sounds quirky.

Johnny Caronte, Zombie Detective & the Revolver Volume 1 GN
Alias Enterprises LLC; page 226; $5.99; 64 pgs.

The stunning cover art is what first attracted me to this book. It is the noir thriller filled with mobsters and hitmen, but the art looks darker and scarier than a plain old noir book. This book contains two stories and looks strangely gorgeous.

Bombaby TP
Amaze Ink/Slave Labor Graphics; page 228; $13.95; 104 pgs.

I keep seeing Bombaby in my local shop and have been interested, but I just never pick it up. Now that it is coming out in trade, I’ll have to give it a second chance. The book is about Sangeeta, the reincarnation of an Indian goddess and while I haven’t heard much about the story, the cover art is eye-catching.

Blazin’ Barrels Vol. 1
TokyoPop; page 337; $9.99; 192 pgs.

Another cool looking manga volume this month is Blazin’ Barrels. I love how TokyoPop always advertises their books as a cross between two great things. This one is “in the vein of Shanghai Noon and Back to the Future.” Well, I don’t think one could really go wrong with that combination. The story set in a futuristic wild west looks enticing.

Machine Teen #1 (of 5)
Marvel Comics; page 8; $2.99; 32 pgs.

The Marvel Next line continues to push on and new miniseries seem to be released every month. This month’s offering is Machine Teen the story of the All-American boy who turns out to be not so human after all. It looks like a fun story and the cover of issue one by James Jean looks promising.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home