The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Friday, May 06, 2005

Free Comic Book Day!

Although Erin mentioned it yesterday and it's on every comic book website in the blogoverse, I thought, what's one more post? Here's my top five Free Comic Book Day picks:

Pick of the Litter - Top Shelf Productions: Owly Splashing Around
I love me some Owly. He's so freaking cute. Highlighting him in a shorter story will definitely attract new fans and hopefully a cadre of young readers.

Next four (in no particular order)

Fantagraphics Books: Funny Book
This book highlights Fantagraphics' 2005 releases. The goal is to show the wide-range of genres that Fantagraphics publishes. They don't put out any bad books, so this one will be fantastic. Plus, if they say it's funny, it probably is.

Alternative Comics: Alternative Comics Presents
This anthology features a number of Alternative Comics' creators including James Kochalka, Josh Nuefeld, and Robert Ullman. Kochalka and Ullman had me at hello, so I'm clamoring to get my hands on this book.

Drawn and Quarterly: The Adventures of Paul
I've heard nothing but good things about Michel Rabagliati’s Paul stories. This book collects his work from the D&Q anthologies and puts them in one free book for each and every one of us. That D&Q, they sure are thoughtful folks.

Image Comics: Flight Primer
Again, I've heard nothing but good things about Flight and I've yet to pick up a copy. I'm guessing this book will convince me. It's a compilation of stories from both volumes of Flight.

Now, how am I going to get my hands on all five of these Free Comic Book Day editions? Well, I'm not entirely sure. I've got about 24 hours to develop a plan. It might involve disguises.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home