The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Single-Panel Reviews: 5/25/05

Billy the Kid’s Old Timey Oddities #1
Written by Eric Powell; Art by Kyle Hotz; Colors by Eric Powell; Letters by Michael Heisler
Dark Horse Comics, $2.99

The Goon, usually hit or miss with me, has been great for the last few issues. Knowing Powell’s potential as a writer and having an interest in the romanticism of old west stories and legend, I knew that this book was a must buy for me. I wasn’t disappointed either. Powell’s story starts excellently and Hotz’s art is superb. In the book, a freak show ring master finds out that Billy the Kid survived his gun fight with Pat Garrett. The man finds the Kid and blackmails him into joining the troupe as they hunt for a precious jewel. The script is strong, with Billy playing the uncouth outlaw to the more civilized, but marginalized side show performers. The art and colors are great and Powell utilizes many earth tones to give the book that old Western feel. I recommend this book to all Powell fans and to those, like me, who don’t always appreciate the Goon.

Bottom Line: B+

Mary Jane: Homecoming #3
Written by Sean McKeever, Art by Taekshi Miyazawa; Colors by Christina Strain; Letters by Dave Sharpe
Marvel Comics, $2.99

I just don’t understand why this book isn’t more popular. Teen age and tween girls everywhere should be reading and loving this book. Heck, my ten year reunion is right around the corner and I adore both the story and the art here. In this issue, the boys play in the Homecoming game. Spiderman and the Vulture interrupt the game as they brawl once again. Finally the dance starts, but all is not as good as it could be. While I like the story, Miyazawa’s art is just so stunning. It is clear, bright and fun. He is able to portray emotion, but keeps it lighthearted, like a high school story should be. I hope more Mary Jane mini-series are forthcoming.

Bottom Line: A

PS238 #11
By Aaron Williams
Dork Storm Press, $2.99

Finally, I picked up my first issue of PS238. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Williams’ work and it was passed time that I gave it a chance. In this issue, a new student joins the school and Tyler must show him around. Malphast, the new student, is from another plane of existence and isn’t sure how human children act. Tyler sets about to show him a few games including an in depth look at four square. Most amusingly, the rules of four square are printed in the back of the book. This couldn’t have come at a better time either, as a friend and I were recently discussing four square and couldn’t remember very many rules. How did I like the book itself though? It was good. I was more impressed with the story than the art. Williams’ is very funny and the script shows it. I though the art took awhile to get used to. The backgrounds of most panels are faded or nonexistent. I would like to see the students in a clearer setting.

Bottom Line: B-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home