The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Friday, June 17, 2005

Ebay Comic Watch: Birthday Edition

Here’s the latest installment of Ebay Comic Watch. Since today’s my 29th birthday, I’m feeling a little nostalgic, and thought I’d seek out some auctions containing the very first comics I remember reading.

“This is Wild Dog” four-issue miniseries
Bidding starts at $0.99, shipping’s $6
Item number: 6539533793
Ends Jun-20-05 11:34:40 PDT
Violent for its time, Wild Dog, donned in a goalie mask and armed with a semi-automatic weapon, kicks some ass. Funny, I didn’t even remember this series is set a stone’s throw away from my hometown. Makes sense, though, since Max Collins wrote the books and Terry Beatty illustrated them. A couple of Iowans after my own heart.

Batman #414 (lot includes 415 and 416 as well)
Bidding starts at $2, shipping is $5
Item number: 6539635610
Ends Jun-20-05 19:32:03 PDT
Another violent tale, and if I’m remembering correctly this was my first Batman comic. Oh, how I loved Batman. This one-shot was written by Jim Starlin with art by Jim Aparo and Mike DeCarlo. In it, Batman is after a serial killer who chops up women and throws them in dumpsters. This one really shook up Batman. Even now, it’s pretty gruesome. Oh, how I love dark Batman.

G.I. Joe #61
Bidding starts at $0.99, shipping varies depending on how many comics you buy from the seller
Item number: 6539376476
Ends Jun-19-05 18:12:07 PDT
Forget Barbies, I was a G.I. Joe fanatic. And this is how much of a nerd I was, too. When I’d play too much with the G.I. Joe action figures I had, the elastic band that held the figures’ legs would break. Instead of throwing them out, since all that still worked was the waist up, I made wheelchairs out of Legos for the soldiers. I’d like to think I was an equal-opportunity toy enthusiast, but really I was just strapped for cash. Probably because I was buying comics, like the G.I. Joe three-pack of comics from the local Walgreens containing issues 59, 60, and 61. This auction is for #61, which contains the cover I loved so much. Ah, who am I kidding, I still love it.

I remember as a kid sitting up in one of the many trees in my yard with my friends and reading these comics over and over and over. Now, they’re dog eared and worn but still among my most prized possessions.
…..

Whew, what a trip through my twisted psyche. Now, if you ever meet me, you’ll understand why I’ve got that crazed look in my eyes – no, wait, on second thought, that’s probably just from the coffee.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home