The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Sunday, June 05, 2005

June Previews: Kerry's Picks

Pick of the Month:
Spiral Bound GN

Page 350; Top Shelf Productions; $14.95; 144 pages

This beautifully drawn story from newcomer Aaron Reiner stars a cast full of animal friends. Previews says it is a tale of ambition and morality with art inspired by Richard Scary. The mention Scary was one of my favorite childhood authors was enough to pique my interests.

Other Notable Works:
Revelations #1

Page 18; Dark Horse Comics; $2.99; 32 pages

Paul Jenkins and Humberto Ramos created this story about a murder within the Vatican. This six-parter is about Charlie Northern, a Scotland Yard detective who travels to Rome to solve the murder of a Vatican official. There is one page preview of the book on page 19 and it looks dark and mysterious.

Star Wars: Clone Wars Adventures Volume 4 TPB
Page 37; Dark Horse Comics; $6.95; 96 pages

I haven’t read any of the Clone Wars adventure stories, but I do love the Cartoon Network series. This volume contains four more stories in the same style as the previous volume. I was attracted to the picture that accompanies the text in Previews. It’s a portrait of Chewbacca, R2D2, and C3PO in the forest. The style is different and I like the artist’s interpretation of the characters.

The Sandman Presents: Thessaly—Witch for Hire TP
Page 117; Vetigo Comics; $12.99; 96 pages

Fables is one of my favorite books, so picking up more of Bill Willingham’s work is a top priority. The story tells of Thessaly, the world’s most powerful witch as she becomes a partner with an old nemesis. Besides looking forward to Willingham’s writing, I’m not certain why I’m pumped for this book. It looks intriguing.

Banana Sundays #2
Page 309; Oni Press; $2.99; 24 pages

Let’s face it; I’m mainly into this book because it’s called Banana Sunday. It’s also got monkeys. From what I can tell, it’s about a high school girl with three talking monkeys. That’s a winning combination in my book.

Off Beat! Volume 1
Page 332; TokyoPop; $9.99; 192 pages

I’ve been looking for another yaoi manga and this book seems to fit the bill. In the story teenager Tory Blake, a genius with a photographic memory, falls for his new neighbor. Tory is also a bit anti-social and has a hard time meeting the new boy. He ends up almost stalking the new kid. The book looks like it could be very successful at playing off Tory’s neurosis.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:30 AM, June 07, 2005, Anonymous Dave Carter said…

    "Besides looking forward to Willingham’s writing, I’m not certain why I’m pumped for this book."

    The Shawn McManus art and the nifty Tara MacPherson covers, of course! The story was a decent tale in the Sandman mythos, and it looked pretty too.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, June 07, 2005, Blogger Kerry said…

    See Dave, I know nothing of the Sandman mythos. Maybe I'm pumped because it's about time I learned.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home