The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Story Thus Far: Girls #1-4 Review

Script by Joshua Luna; Art by Jonathan Luna
Image Comics, $2.99 each

The Luna brothers proved they possess creative and artistic chops with their limited series Ultra. Now with the release of their second series, Girls, they add mysterious and a little bit odd to their list of traits. I mean all this in a good way. In Girls, Ethan is a checker at the lone grocery store in a small town. He is getting over his latest ex-girlfriend and hanging out with friends at the local bar. After a particularly rough night, Ethan drives home only to find a nude woman in the middle of the road. She is injured, so he brings her into his home. Soon, she multiplies into many girls. This is when the weird starts to happen, effectively changing Ethan’s life as he knows it. Ethan isn’t the only one affected as the lives of other townspeople are soon changed as well.

The story that Joshua weaves is so intriguing and deliciously weird that I was glad I saved up four issues for one sitting. I ripped through each issue trying to figure out what the heck was going to happen on the next page. The pace of the story is fast and the confusion that Ethan and his friends feel occupied my thoughts as well. The urgency to find out what exactly is happening is strong, but unrewarded after four issues. Believe me; the rest can’t get here soon enough.

Jonathan’s art is stunning as well. Although he showed he could draw beautiful women in Ultra, Girls is the ultimate proof of this. The girls are incredibly beautiful even in not so beautiful moments. His lines are so thin that it makes the girls feel delicate and frail. Even for all his talent drawing women, the best thing Jonathan does is capture expressions on all his characters’ faces. Ethan spends a lot of the time confused and exasperated and it shows in his face.

Girls is turning out to be even more exciting than Ultra. The story is intriguing and the art beautiful in every panel. Really, I don’t see how the Luna brothers can top this work, but I’m excited to see them try.

Bottom Line: A

1 Comments:

  • At 12:25 PM, October 18, 2005, Blogger Jhunt said…

    Hmmm... I dunno. I read the first couple of issues (after loving Ultra), but found it really, really mean-spirited and unpleasant. I don't expect every book I read to have a "paragon of virtue" as it's lead, but I honestly couldn't find a single character I didn't dislike.

    I wouldn't go so far as to say it's misogynistic (as I've read others have), but I sure didn't enjoy reading it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home