The Comic Queen

Zip ribbons and word balloons, Wednesday bliss and Previews dreams. If these phrases mean anything to you, then you're in the right place. But if they don't -- hey stick around anyway. You might just like what you see.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Random Schtuff and Emerald City Comicon


Tomorrow, Fanboy Radio opens its phone lines at 6 p.m. central. The hour-long “Comic Call-Out” show will welcome callers live on the air. Topics of discussion are up to callers, but hosts Scott Hinze and Oliver Tull plan on covering recent comic reads and industry news, the movie “V for Vendetta,” the Ultimate Avengers DVD, news from Wizard World LA, and more.

I just discovered what I think is my favorite concept and voice for a blog: “Bully Says: Comics Oughta Be Fun!” The comics reviewed are ones that Bully the stuffed animal bull says are fun – they don’t have to be funny but that they are just fun to read. What an idea! Comics be fun! This a wonderfully written blog, and I highly encourage you to bookmark it.

Another well-written blog is Snap Judgments. Lots of personality and always worth reading. Bookmark it!

According to “Publisher’s Weekly,” Eric Shanower is thinking about serializing “Age of Bronze” on the web. The trades are selling well, and acclaim is high (I know I love it), but the individual floppy comics are selling below expectations.

Tom Spurgeon, The Comics Reporter, comments on the recent speculation that DC’s Solo series may be canceled soon. I really, really hope this isn’t the case. This has consistently been my favorite DC title, and I’d be sad to see it go.

I am extremely excited about the Emerald City Comicon coming up April 1 and 2. The lineup of guests and creators is great this year. While I still need to create a plan for the con, highlights for me personally are:

Pia Guerra (autograph, woot!)
Bill Willingham (ditto)
Jim Mahfood (got his autograph at the Vancouver comicon a couple years ago before I had read anything by him, picked up some books at the con, and now I’m hooked. I’d like to get a sketch this time around)
Diana Schutz (trying to figure out a way to say hi without looking like the geeky editor I really am – may have to smile from afar …)
Steve Rolston (always a highlight – does the best sketches and is very cool)
Steve Lieber (one of the greatest guys out there – want to say hi and pick up “Whiteout,” which I’ve been too dumb to buy yet)
B. Clay Moore (yea autographs!)
Matt Wagner (got a copy of “Trinity” just waiting for his John Hancock)
Rick Leonardi (autograph … and do I dare hope I can afford a sketch??)
Mike Huddleston (boy would I love a sketch from Huddleston – he’s pretty amazing)
Kurt Busiek (got his autograph before, so maybe I’ll skip, but he’s just such a nice guy)
Tony Harris (very cool – great artist. He’s one I’d like to save my pennies up for an original page from Ex Machina)
Stuart Immonen (now I can get his autograph to complement Busiek’s on “Secret Identity” #1)

There are many other notable guests and creators that I’m looking forward to seeing as well. And, of course, many of the exhibitors and vendors will be highlights. My heart is all aflutter … nerd juices flowing … must … stop … before too late.

5 Comments:

  • At 7:34 PM, March 26, 2006, Blogger Bully said…

    Thanks ever so much for the kudos and the link, Your Highness! (Now you make me feel bad I haven't had a chance to update much this month!) Your blog is pretty fun too, and from me that's a big compliment! Keep up the good work, Your Majesty!

    Fondly,
    Bully

     
  • At 8:59 PM, March 26, 2006, Blogger Erin M. Schadt said…

    Now, if I could only get my co-workers to call me "Your Majesty" ... well other than under their breath, that is.

     
  • At 10:40 PM, March 28, 2006, Anonymous carla said…

    Wow! Let's hear it for Bully, without whom I would have never heard your wonderful words about Yours Truly. =)
    Huzzah for the Queen and Female Comic Readers!

    Do enjoy the Emerald City Comic Con, it looks like a good show and you're in for some pretty groovy autographs and sketches.

     
  • At 11:06 PM, March 28, 2006, Blogger Erin M. Schadt said…

    Hey, it's like a little comics blogger party here!! Woot woot! ... uh, I clearly don't get invited to many parties ;-)

     
  • At 7:53 AM, March 31, 2006, Blogger P'La Jarvinen said…

    erin,
    hubbie Kirk Jarvinen and I will be at the convention but, I am reminding people that stop by, to bring along any used cell phones they have to donate for the ACTOR comic fund. I'll be collecting them and offering FREE iTunes as a reward to contributors. they help the environment, help comic creators and get freebies in return!
    cya there!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home